Mr. Bill – Crowd Sourced Data

Mr. Bill – Crowd Sourced Data

Rated 5.00 out of 5 based on 1 customer rating
(1 customer review)

$10

Track #1 from CSS (Corrective Scene Surgery) – Project File & Audio Track

Category:

Description

Total size zipped: 496MB
Total size unzipped: 938MB
Collected & Saved with Ableton Live Suite 9.5
No 3rd party plug-ins have been frozen

Iterations: 6


Mr. Bill – Crowd Sourced Data_9.5:
The general idea exists in this iteration, however the mixing is only around 50% of the way there, plus a lot of the samples and edits are very messy. It’s basically a prototype for what the song ended up becoming. Also, by this stage, a bunch of stuff has been rendered to audio.

Third Party Plug-ins used in this iteration:
Native Instruments – Kontakt 5
XferRecords – Cthulhu
U-He – Zebra 2


Mr. Bill – Crowd Sourced Data_9.5_2:
Again, most of the idea exists in this iteration, however, the mixing is still kinda shitty, but the edits are a little tighter, and some things have been re-sampled to achieve an extra layer of depth. There’s still a bunch of sub missing, I guess I realised that later down the path when I ended up making a dedicated sub-channel.

Third Party Plug-ins used in this iteration:
Native Instruments – Kontakt 5
XferRecords – Cthulhu
U-He – Zebra 2


Mr. Bill – Crowd Sourced Data_9.5_3:
In this iteration, I obviously figured out the sub issues and added one, then that inspired me to write the 4/4 section towards the end and finish the actual arrangement, however the mixing and edits are still not quite there. Also, in this version, I have a simple compressor on the master that I was turning on and off while I was writing, just to see how the sounds and the mix would react under compression when it finally did get mastered – this is a technique I use a lot around the halfway point of finishing my tracks to try and refine mixes a bit. I find that compressors can sometimes being out unwanted artifacts in some things that you can’t quite hear when it’s uncompressed. It’s a nice way to provoke and irritate the issues so the things you need to fix immediately become blindingly obvious.

Third Party Plug-ins used in this iteration:
Native Instruments – Kontakt 5
XferRecords – Cthulhu
U-He – Zebra 2


Mr. Bill – Crowd Sourced Data_9.5_4:
In this iteration, I was trying out a garage idea, however, it didn’t really sit well with me, so I removed it from the final version.

Third Party Plug-ins used in this iteration:
Native Instruments – Kontakt 5
XferRecords – Cthulhu
U-He – Zebra 2


Mr. Bill – Crowd Sourced Data_9.5_5:
This iteration is basically the final. The arrangement is done, the mix is basically done, there’s a basic mastering chain on it, the edits aren’t too bad, but there were still a few edits not sitting too well with me, so I ended up stemming everything out for the final version to get everything a little bit tighter in audio. I also added a ton of FabFilter – Pro-Q 2’s to this session to make sure nothing was clashing, and to make sure the low frequency end of things is mono for the most part.

Third Party Plug-ins used in this iteration:
Native Instruments – Kontakt 5
XferRecords – Cthulhu
U-He – Zebra 2
U-He – Uhbik-A
FabFilter – Pro-Q 2
FabFilter – Saturn
FabFilter – Pro-L
Valhalla – Room
Max4Live – Convolution Reverb


Mr. Bill – Crowd Sourced Data_9.5_6:
So, here’s the final. As you can see I rendered everything into stems, then edited little parts of them to make the transitional sections more glitchy or more smooth, or just more involved in general! I love doing this at the end of the process just to kinda fix the mix and edits overall a lot quicker and easier, plus it kinda gives you a few extra ideas you wouldn’t normally try if you were dealing with a selection of 60 MIDI, audio & return channels rather than just a single audio channel. Also, you can see in this version, I went back to Ableton native plug-ins for the mastering, just because I thought it sounded better for this particular track at the time, and I have no regrets, I’m still stoked with how it turned out!

Third Party Plug-ins used in this iteration:
Valhalla – Room
U-He – Uhbik-A


Supporting Video Content
– [Jun 9, 2015 – Crowd Sourced Data [Part 1]

NOTE: This is a 75 minute live-stream I did of working on this track. This does not cover the entire writing process from start to finish like other series I’ve done might, however, you may learn a few nifty tricks regardless!

1 review for Mr. Bill – Crowd Sourced Data

  1. Rated 5 out of 5

    Absolutely loving the CSS series!

Add a review

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please use our new site to place orders: https://live.mrbillstunes.com/ Dismiss